Jan 10, 2010

Whose Toy Is It Anyway?

Prabu put together a train table we picked up yesterday (I know, I have been doing a lot of shopping lately;)). We both were so proud once we set the tracks on the table and got it all ready in V's playroom. The jungle I made fit perfectly in the center of the table and I was oh so proud. We both loved the set up. V woke up in the morning and had a blast obviously. And it got me thinking, if I was selfish in the kind of things I pick for him for playing and the "creative" "funky" stuff I do for him :).

Growing up all I cared with regards to toys was the kitchen set that my cousin bought for me when I was in 2nd grace and then few years later my Nayanamma (Dad's Mom) gave me her set from her childhood. I still have few pieces from her collection that I managed to bring across from India to here :). They are not like the ones we get now and neither are they made of plastic, wood or stainless steel. They are made o copper and brass. I used to play for hours and would never let anyone mess with them :). May be that's why I got into loving cooking so much...lol. I was doing it since young :).

Coming back to V, so the toys I pick, I used to always wonder, is this what he will really like ? Am I doing this to some sort of compensate for something? And the big question of all, is it branded a girl toy and boy toy. At the end of it all, it's just fun for me and Prabu to sit back and watch him have fun with whatever we get or make for him. And you know he prefers that empty UPS box to play with than a huge toy you pick for him anyways :).

Oh, you do know you never take a 3 year old to a toy store and say "What do you want honey?" right! Because you will end up him/her wanting this ;)

No comments: